Paul writes I'm looking forward to reading a paper that I stumbled across recently. Its titled, Faith Development, Postmodernity and Church: Their interaction and the implications for Christianity in
It'd be good, if you download and read it, to leave a comment about either what you appreciated about it, what was useful or encouraging, or why you were motivated to download it - what caught your attention? At the very least, how about leaving a note to say you've downloaded a copy and where you're from in the world? I think the effect would be very interesting.
The times they are a changin, this is a critical time for the church. In this paper I desire to explain some of the problems I see in the church today, and some suggestions I have for a new direction [that] the Pakeha [those New Zealanders of European descent] church could take
PART I A Theoretical Basis.
1. Fowlers Stages of Faith.
2. The 6 Stages
3. Some Gross Ecclesiastical Generalisations!
4. My Experience of the Stages.
PART II Stages 3-5, a Closer Theoretical, Biblical and Historical Analysis.
5. Stages 3, 4 and 5.
6. Job and the Stages.
7. Certainty in the Darkness???
PART III A
8. Where Have all the Young Men Gone?
9. John Drane A Church Mono-culture?
10. Who could we be Focusing on?
11. The Spiritual Searchers:
12. Spiritual Searchers and the Stages.
13. Postmodernism and the Spiritual Searchers.
PART IV Which Way Forward?
15. A) 1 A Generation of Change
16. A) 2 Christ of All Cultures? A Missiological Framework.
17. To Boldly go where no Parish has Gone Before!
18. The Options.
PART V Past Lessons and Future Suggestions.
19. Postmodern Charismatic Parallels?
20. Postmodern Liberal/Traditional Parallels?
21. Towards a
A) Minister as Fellow Pilgrim.
B) Bible as Compass.
C) Preacher as Story-teller, Worship leader as Curator.
D) From Service to Gathering.
E) An Ancient-Future Faith.
F) Sacred Space.
G) Multi-Sensory Worship.
H) Belonging Before Believing.
I) A Generous Orthodoxy.
J) From a Right to Good Gospel.
K) Towards an Incarnational Community.
L) Lefty-Liberal Greenies???
M) Non-Individualistic Salvation
N) God Uncensored!
Appendix 1 History Never Repeats?
Appendix 2 An Exegesis of a Reflective Service.
Appendix 3 The Emerging Church, Another Definition.
You can find Nathans paper online here